Saturday, April 30, 2011

"This job post no longer available?"

I'm having a great time (like a heart attack) sifting through my manifold e-mails full of job opportunities. Of course, I'm doing the usual: carefully tailoring each cover letter and resume to each opportunity. I'm pulling out what each employer wants and ensuring key words are included for proper SEO.

Then schmega juicy jobs pop up and I'm salivating eager to lap up the chance to get my resume to the top of the pile. I'm pouring over the cover letters. It's taking me an inordinate amount of time because I want it just right. I'm excited about getting back into a space that is so familiar and for which I am uniquely gifted. I truly enjoy this particular line of work so I want, at minimum, a first interview.

Voila! It's done! My best and final tweeks sing like Pavrotti and I'm stoked. I click on the "Apply Here" button and (gong sound) "This job post no longer available." Oh that's gotta be a mistake. I must have misclicked. <Click> "This job post no longer available."

Let the whining begin
WHAT???

ARE YOU SERIOUS???

Do you have any idea how much time I spent poring over these cover letters and resumes and I can't submit it? You've got to be kidding, right? I checked how long ago I received the job notice and see I got the e-mail only 18 hours ago. There's no way they closed those jobs yet. 

It could always be that there's a problem on their end. It could also be a problem from my e-mail in-box to their server. Let me go directly to the actual company's web site. G O N E !

You mean I just wasted my time, hopes and all, on cover letters they will never see? Any recruiter will tell you it's never a waste of time. I'll run across a similar opportunity where I'll get to repurpose that killer cover letter.

But 18 hours later the requisition is closed? 

I don't scare that easy buddy
I prefer to keep my hopes up. I refuse to let this sucky economy drag me down. I'm hopeful it's just a glitch somewhere in the system. SOMEWHERE! I'll be back ... Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment